Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day with the Nephews

Today, the folks and I went up to visit the nephews. My father brought his coveted train set for them. Little Ethan, quickly welcomed me into his house and showed me his latest and greatest treasure, a trumpet. He doesn't play it, but rather cherishes it, lovingly snaping open the case and pulling the velvet over the body of the trumpet. As I carelessly snatch it from the case and start blowing on it, I see my nephew's demeanor change from delight to anguish. Careful not to upset the balance in the household, I quickly change the topic. "Ethan, Grandpa brought trains!" Tony wastes no time in following my father out to the car and before long both boys are entranced by the whistle and smoke emanating from the train set. It was blissful.

No comments:

Post a Comment